Saturday, June 13, 2009

Roundy's FuelPerks Program Is A Winner!

I started using the new Roundy's FuelPerks program at the end of May, and I have to say that I think it is the best promotion we've had like this in this area in a long time. You sign up at the check out. They enter you electronically and give you a credit card type card and one to put on your keychain. If you want 2 cards, one for your spouse, then be sure you specify this when you sign up.

Each time you check out give the card to clerk. For every $50 you spend, you get 10 cents off your next 20 gallons of gas at participating BP stations. The beauty of this card is that it keeps track of all of you spending and continually earn credits towards more savings at the pump. For example, today my husband went to pick up just a couple of things for our backyard bonfire and the bottom or the receipt says that we have a total of 30 cents in FuelPerks, meaning that we can go to BP today and save 30 cents a gallon on 20 gallons of gas and we have $29.72 towards our next reward. You don't have to start over at zero each time you go shopping!

Be sure to check the bottom of your receipts for your current status with this program. There is a mention of expiriation, but so far I haven't had anything come up in this area. I imagine that you can accumulate for a certain period of time and then you lose the savings. This makes sense to me because this needs to be a win win for both Rainbow Foods and BP.

To use the savings at BP, simply follow the prompts on the screen at the pump. One word of caution: You must have the larger rewards card with you to use the savings! You cannot just have the little card attached to your keychain. You need to actually swipe the rewards card like a credit card during the transaction to redeem your rewards.

You might be wondering how this promotion compares with the one that Cub Foods has been doing for the past year with Holiday Stations. Well, the Roundy's FuelPerks is a much better program! Here's why:


  • With Roundy's you continually earn rewards even when you don't spend $50. The card keeps track of your spending and you add to your previous total the next time you shop.

  • At Rainbow Foods you have to spend $50 to get 10 cents off of 20 gallons of gas. At Cub Foods you have to spend $100 to get 10 cents off of 12 gallons of gas. **Cub Foods does occasionally alter the conditions of this program so watch your weekly Sunday circular for the latest details on this promotion**

  • With Roundy's you only hang on to the rewards card, no coupons. With Cub Foods you have to hang on to the coupons to redeem the savings.

  • With Roundy's you can take care of the entire transaction at the pump. This is great when filling up with kids in the car! With Cub Foods you have to pay inside to redeem your coupons. Makes it trickier with kids!

These are just some of the benefits that I find in using the Roundy's FuelPerks program over the Cub Foods program. I am sure there are others that have I have overlooked. If I think of other details that you should be aware of, I'll let you know.

10 comments:

  1. I love it!!! And I'm happy to be your first "follower" - happy to support you in this new venture. -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girlfriend! It means a lot to me to have your support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog today through my friend Stacy Nieman. Loved this post in particular, I've always wondered how these programs worked. I've only shopped at Cub, but now I'll have to give Rainbow a try (on Wednesdays (;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You realize that this program is just a shell game and a bad deal for consumers at that. What you were getting in grocery discounts is now the fuelperks program which according to the program creator is redeemed at only a 60% rate. So where a consumer received the full value of a discount, they are now only getting 60% of the discount. I am amazed that people are cheering a discount program that is actually costing them more just becuase it has the word "fuel" in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very confusing to some elderly people. The way the program was explained to my 86 yr old father was that he got free gas based on the amount listed as his fuel perk. Now he is upset because he thinks he doesn't get anything other then a discount on gas. Don't get me wrong the discount is nice but not worth the trouble of finding a gas station that honors the discount.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do I check on my account to see how much
    I have on file?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a couple of ways to check your balance. The first way is to check your register receipt after you check out. It always says what your balance is on the receipt. Another way to check is to go to a BP station and swipe your FuelPerks card at the pump. The digital display at the pump will read the card for you and tell you what yoru discount is. Lastly, take the card to the gas attendent at your local BP and have them swipe it for you and check your balance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This all sounds wonderful; except, I have tried 2 BP stations in the Lakeville area and am told that they do not participate. It's not doing much for us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had similiar experiences, and when I have found a station that accepts the Roundy's card, it doesn't work. I have had that happen on 3 separate occasions. BP says it's a Roundy's problem and Roundy's says it's a BP problem. Very frustrasting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the Twin Cities Minnesota BP is the MOST EXPENSIVE gas brand one can buy. Even if they honor the card you are still paying a lot more than at other gas stations. BP is the first to raise their prices and the last to lower them to meet market pricing...my husband worked for BP and so he knows.

    ReplyDelete