Thursday, November 12, 2009

Late Night Shopping

I am a substitute teacher. I have been working a lot in the past couple of weeks and I love it! Working a full day on Wednesdays means that I am left with the evening hours to do my grocery shopping at Rainbow Foods.
Last night I shopped later in the evening. I find that this time of day is so peaceful and calm at the store! Granted, some of the deals I want to take advantage of are sold out for the day, but a raincheck ensures that I can still get the deal next week when I return for the next shopping trip.
I find shopping in the evening a great time to watch what other shoppers are doing. I see so many people pushing their carts while holding a wad of coupons and I wonder what their story is. I wonder if they have been smart shoppers all their lives or if they are really struggling to make ends meet by saving a few dollars on their groceries. I had the good fortune of meeting Sally at the store last night. We visited a bit about our strategies for saving and the fact that both of our husbands are unemployed. We shared some of the blessings that have come to us during this time and the sense of peace and calm that can be found in this unsettling situation. It was a blessing to have a few moments to connect with another mom who is trying to do a lot with a little. I hope I get a chance to run into Sally again.

No comments:

Post a Comment